Tuesday, January 24, 2012



Recently, I've been trying to implement a lot more healthy choices into my household's menu. I've found that the easiest way to do that is to incorporate better ingredients into things we already like to eat. One example is that I add a bit of ground flax seed to our morning cereal (and in recipes instead of eggs), and another is using more wheat flour instead of white when I make things from scratch (which is also happening a lot more lately.)

I prefer to cook things myself instead of buying pre-made items, since that's the best way to know what it's truly made of. It takes a bit more time, but the peace of mind is worth it. Lastly, one of the best way to keep us from eating unhealthy foods is not bringing them into the house at all! Instead of processed snacks and junk food, I stock the fridge and freezer with whole fruits and veggies that we can eat alone or use in healthy recipes for snacks.

When I absolutely have to have something, I'll make or buy just a little for that serving. Everything in moderation is one of my favorite mottos, since completely denying myself something just makes me want it more! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment